Six surprising benefits of regular hygienist appointments
We all know that gum disease (also known as periodontal disease or, in years gone by, pyorrhoea) can cause the appearance and long-term health of your teeth and gums to deteriorate.
But did you know it can also lead to a host of serious diseases? It’s why good gum hygiene is so important to your overall health.
Here are six surprising benefits of regular hygienist appointments:
- Healthy gums are associated with a lower risk of heart attacks, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, low birthweight and stillbirth and some cancers.
- People with good gum health are less likely to die or have serious disease if they catch Covid.
- Poor gum health can make Diabetes harder to control, and diabetes makes gum disease harder to stabilise. Regular hygiene appointments will help to break this vicious cycle.
- We examine you for precancerous areas at every visit, meaning that mouth cancer can be spotted sooner in regular attenders.
- Hygienists can spot decay, broken fillings, loose crowns and a host of other problems, meaning problems are seen early, when they are easier to treat.
- People who attend their hygienist regularly are better at cleaning their teeth at home. The frequent feedback and information given at appointments helps to improve the technique and effectiveness of home care.
The trouble is that most of us are simply unaware that we have gum disease. It’s usually painless until it is very advanced and teeth are already at high risk of loss. It’s thought that just over three quarters of the population live with it day-to-day.
Not everyone has symptoms, but sometimes gum disease shows up with signs that you can spot.
If you have any of the following symptoms, please book an appointment with us at your earliest convenience.
- Gums that are red, sore or swollen
- Gums that bleed when you brush your teeth
- Gums that bleed when eating firm foods
- Bad breath or unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Teeth that are loose or wobbly
Not all gum disease shows these symptoms – there is no substitute for regular examinations with your dentist or hygienist.
During a hygienist appointment, your teeth and gums will be examined and measurements will be made and recorded of any areas of concern; they will be thoroughly and gently cleaned using specialist equipment, removing any plaque or tartar that you cannot remove yourself at home; and you will be advised of the tools, techniques and habits that you need to implement at home ensure that your teeth stay clean between appointments. If necessary, a personalised plan to combat gum disease will also be developed.
Here at Nothing But The Tooth, we offer high quality hygienist services to the people of Sutton Coldfield and surrounding areas. Our treatments are comfortable, safe and extremely effective.
Do you need to see a reputable hygienist in Sutton Coldfield? Feel free to get in touch with our team to book an appointment.